Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Let Me Catch You Up!

If you follow my blog, then you know it's not uncommon for me to have significant stretches of time with no activity.  I know, I know...I've said many times how I dislike having these "dry spells".  But I've also recognized that life sometimes dictates what gets my attention and what's place on the proverbial back burner, and blogging - as well as sewing - is usually sacrificed.  I know I'm not alone in this fact, but I really am trying to be better.


So, what have I been doing for the past couple of years?





The biggest demand of my time has been work.  My schedule has been very busy, which seems to leave me little time and energy for much else.  I also experienced an injury of my hand a couple of years ago which landed me in the hospital for a few days with significant recovery time.  But, by far, the biggest and one of the best changes in my life has been the birth of my first grandchild, Christiane!

That's me on the left at almost age 2.  Her resemblance to me still surprises me.
There are times I look at her and could almost see myself as a baby and toddler.
It's wild!



She is two and half years old and I've been so blessed to spend lots of time with her since she was born.  I remember a close friend telling me that when we become parents, we most certainly love our children and can't envision loving anyone else as much as them; but the love for our grandchildren is on a whole another level, and I have to say I get it.  Maybe it's because our only job as grandparents is to love them; the raising, disciplining, educating all belongs to mommy and daddy.  I don't know...it's a theory.  Anyway, Chris and my birthdays are exactly one week apart and I so look forward to sharing "birthday brunches" with her as she grows up.







Several years ago, I've come into the knowledge that my daughter did not always feel good about herself and where she was in life.  However, being able to see her take care of herself, her development and growing self-confidence has been rewarding for me, especially now that she's integrating her relatively new role of "mom" into her being.  And, she is a 
really, really good mom. 






My oldest son married his girlfriend after a 10-year courtship.  I absolutely love my daughter-in-law, not just because she is a beautiful person, but also because they are good for each other.  I couldn't be happier for them both.









Of course, there has been holiday gatherings and family get-togethers...








...sporting events, concerts and outings with my hubby...


Lambeau Field, Green Bay, WI

Detroit at Green Bay game



Detroit Tigers home baseball game



Ronald Isley aka Mr. Biggs

Morris Day and The Time


Detroit Jazz Festival Jam Session, Renaissance Center

The Prince Experience, Fox Theater, Detroit

Fox Theater


...and tragically, we've endured losses...

My dear friend Janet Sweitzer,
who passed suddenly from a pulmonary embolism
in November 2018

My mother-in-law, Mary Ann Johnson,
who passed on Feb. 25, 2019

My nephew, Jordan Johnson, who passed on Feb. 27, 2019
- two days following his grandmother Mary Ann



As I like to say, life has been happening for the past 18 months.  Recently, however, my time and attention has been consumed with the COVID-19 crisis that seems to be affecting all of us, in one way or another.  There are victims of COVID-19 I know who unfortunately lost their lives due to the disease.  In fact, I just learned overnight of a gentleman who was in one of my training classes last year who passed from the disease (RIH Garyn).  There are others who are still fighting to beat it, and still others who have won their battles - not the least of which being my youngest son, Etaune.



I don't think I've ever been as fearful as when I faced the possibility of losing my son.  I desperately wanted to help him, but knowing that his fight with this illness was out of my hands - especially given he wouldn't let me near him out of fear I, too, would get sick - all I could do was place my full faith and trust in God to carry my son through the battle.  I found myself praying fervently and often, not only for Etaune, but for friends I learned also contracted the SARS CoV-2 virus and were extremely ill.  Faith was the only thing to calm and sustain me.



To say that I'm thankful for Etaune's recovery, and the sustained good health of the rest of my family, is an understatement.  I
f I had 10,000 tongues, they would still be inadequate to truly convey my thankfulness to God for my many, many blessings.

My first time seeing Etaune post-recovery...picture of a happy mom!

Thankfully, my employer already supported working remotely for my role, so I've been on-site in the actual workplace maybe five times since January.  At home, my working space is in my Sewing Room, so I spend a significant amount of time there but haven't really had motivation to actually work on pending or new projects in a while.  But, given the latest CDC recommendations for everyone to wear face-coverings when out, I did decide to make masks for myself, as well as family and friends.  Here are a few pics of some I've completed.








With my "sewjo" being sparked, I did complete some UFOs which have been lingering in my Sewing Room and I so look forward to sharing their details with you; and I pinky-swear it will be soon!  Until then, thank you for spending your time in catching up with me and, as always...


Be blessed!

Aisha

2 comments:

  1. Well done, Aisha, well done! I’ve missed you writing! Even though we text, message and talk, I feel much more caught up now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Denise, for your continued support and encouragement. <3

      Delete