Friday, January 9, 2015

DKNY Done Easy

I have a confession to make.  My name is Aisha, and I am a patternholic.  I admit that buying patterns on sale is my weakness.  I love browsing through my JoAnn sale brochures to see which patterns are on sale so I can plan my shopping trips accordingly.  Between my love for pattern sales and the time I worked for So-Fro Fabrics many, many years ago, I have built a collection in excess of 600 primarily consisting of Butterick, McCall's, Vogue and Simplicity.

Like most of the "sewists" whose blogs I follow, I like reviewing ready-to-wear runway styles and picking out those which inspire me to create my own versions.  While surfing on Style.com, I fell in love with Look no. 3 from the DKNY Fall 2013 RTW collection and proceeded to search through my pattern collection to see which one I could modify to make my version of this dress - and I think I did settle on one...


But, this evening I received my new JoAnn sale brochure and saw they're offering Burda patterns at $2.49 each on January 18th - 20th, so I thought I'd check out their patterns online.  Look at what I found!


The only way this pattern could look more like the DKNY inspiration is if Donna Karan drafted it herself.  And, since I'm not one for reinventing wheels, I guess you know where I'll be next Sunday.

On a side note, why do so many of you identify yourselves as "sewists" instead of "sewers"?  Would it have anything to do with the title sharing its spelling with "a subterranean conduit that carries off sewage"?  I recently read an article on ThreadsMagazine.com about the word choices and was just curious what you all thought.  Please share your opinions below - I can hardly wait to read them!

Be blessed!

Aisha


14 comments:

  1. WOW exactly! I am just like you and am getting this pattern. I love everything about the dress (especially the color combinations). Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure, Eileen, and thank you for reading and commenting...I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  2. Yes, unfortunately the word sewer is associated with sewage so many prefer sewist, me included, lol. Or sometimes I'll just stick with seamstress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand, Katrina. I think I'm okay with "sewer" if I'm having a conversation about the craft, but I don't like using the word in written form for the reason you stated. I just haven't been able to attach myself to "sewist".

      Delete
  3. I use SEWer. I love telling the world what I do and educating folks on another use of the word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I worked for House of Fabrics/So Fro fabrics in California. That is where my pattern collection started too Two McCalls cabinets full . Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Two cabinets full? That's quite a collection, Tammy. Did you love "discontinued patterns" time as much as I did?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving! I'm getting that pattern!! thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great design, isn't it? Please share your dress...I'd love to see your version!

      Delete
  7. I have this pattern. Thanks for pointing out the original designer of this dress/top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Cennetta, and thank you for your time and comment...I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  8. I like to use the word Sewista. I have that pattern and highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that one - Sewista. Did you make a garment with this Burda pattern yet? I would LOVE to see pics of your version.

      Delete