Monday, March 18, 2013

Carnival of Skirts - Entry #2 Update

I hope you all had a great day, and that it's continuing through this evening.  I'm going to KISS this blog post - Keep It Short and Sweet.

My second Carnival submission is also cut from Butterick 5566, but View E this time.  I'm using a polyester herringbone suiting remnant I purchased at JoAnn's sometime last summer.  The fabric width is 58/60", and the length was just under 1 yard.  The regular price would be $11.91, but with their 50% remnant discount, I paid only $5.95 for the fabric.  I LOVE KNOWING HOW TO SEW!!!!!!!!



I love how this fabric handles, and even has a slight "stretch" which makes matching symbols and seams a proverbial "piece of cake".



Other than lining the skirt, the only other design modification I want to make is adding pockets to the skirt front.  I so dislike how RTW clothing manufacturers think women don't need pockets in their skirts and pants.  The only thing worse than having no pockets is having fake pockets - you know...those mock welts which serve no purpose.  Or what about those pockets which provide about 2-inches depth - just big enough for a pack of Trident gum.  What is that about?!



with welt pocket redesign

Anyway, I've constructed the major skirt pieces, top-stitched the curved seams, press all the other seams open and placed the skirt on a hanger.  I'm really pleased with how it's looking so far.

wrong side front

wrong side back

right side front

Tomorrow, I begin facilitating another 7-week New Hire class, so hopefully I'll still have energy this week to continue working on Carnival #2.  I'm holding off on completing Carnival #1 until this weekend - I still have to work out that lining-zipper thing.

Thank you so much for taking time to read my post, and please leave comments below.  I love hearing your feedback.

Be blessed!

Aisha

No comments:

Post a Comment