Please be patient with reply…life is happening.
Although it appears the official "Carnival of Skirts 2012" blog is closed, my plan is to complete my submissions. With that said, I was able to put in work on my first skirt today. But, before I detail today's progress, I would like to share construction details for the work I've already completed.
I'm making Butterick 5566 View B for my first skirt and I'm using a black crinkle bottom-weight fabric I purchased many, many years ago and left-over faux leather I used to make my daughter's homecoming outfit in 2010.
The original pattern design has a somewhat plain skirt back, but I really liked the idea of continuing the faux leather contrast to the back, so I modified the pattern to include the contrast back yoke.
|Original pattern design|
|My redesigned back|
The faux leather has a knit backing and I was concerned that it would "run" if too much stress were placed on it, as illustrated below.
So, I underlined each section of the skirt's yoke with a cotton broadcloth I had in my stash, thus giving it more stability. I then treated each underlined piece as a single layer of fabric during construction.
Today, I top-stitched the side seams to maintain design detail with that of the yoke front.
I struggled a little with figuring out the best zipper insertion method to use. The pattern called for the zipper to be centered on the skirt back, but I was concerned with needle holes appearing on the faux leather from the basting stitch, so I decided to use a lapped-zipper technique.
The original pattern design calls for the skirt to be unlined, but I prefer including linings whenever possible. So, I constructed the skirt lining using the skirt pieces for View A, and I decided to also include an interfaced skirt facing - a technique I learned while making Vogue 2607 for my friend, Vickie. The lining is "sandwiched" between the skirt and inside facing.
Once sewn together, I understitched the lining and facing so they will stay in place inside the skirt.
So, here's how it looks so far...
The skirt still needs to be hemmed, and I will have to "play" with the lining/facing and zipper opening to figure out the best way to attach them - turns out, without a true "waistband", using a lapped zipper may not have been the best method to employ. Oh well...what's done is done.