Sunday, April 14, 2013

Plight of the Project Clingers

How many unfinished projects do you have occupying space in your sewing studio?  A question I asked myself recently after reading a post on Erin McKean's "A Dress A Day" blog.  She wrote that, before a recent move, she went through plastic bins housing various sewing and alteration projects which have been "languishing, untended and uncompleted for two moves now."  After looking through them, she realized many of these "zombie projects" felt like "obligations" and it was time to let them go.  I recognize that I also suffer from a condition that I've coined Project Clinginess - yeah, I know it's not a real word, but just work with me for moment.  So I looked around my space, and here are just a few lingering projects I found.


In my sewing room, I have a laundry basket holding various family clothing items which need some type of repair - tears mended, zippers replaced, seams repaired, elbow patches, etc.  After reading Erin's blog post, I realized this basket has been sitting in my SR for the 14 years I've lived in my house.


Here is a really cute top and skort outfit I cut out for my daughter - in 1998 when she was 3 years old!!  Now, in my defense, I did cut out two outfits from the same dragonfly-print fabric - one hot pink (as pictured) and one royal blue, which I did complete.  She looked adorable in the blue outfit, which I've since donated to The Salvation Army many, many years ago.




I have a supply of "work" shirts which have been embroidered with my employer's company logo.  These shirts, especially the denim chambray, no longer fit in my department's dress code, but I so disliked the idea of simply discarding them because the fabric and buttons are still useful.  I've pondered what to do with them, but this has been going on for about 5 years now.




I recognize that I've suffered from Project Clinginess for many years.  I can think back to outfits I've cut out and constructed, but because the event I intended the outfits for passed, they sat incomplete.  For example, do you remember Butterick 4811?  I decided to make this dress for a "Make It In Denim" day that my So-Fro Fabrics store was promoting - in 1987!!  I remember being really excited about making this dress because it marked the one time it was permissible to wear denim at work.


I didn't get the dress complete by D-Day, so it sat assembled but unfinished for many years.  I've since detached the top and skirt so I could figure out how to salvage the fabric into something I would enjoy wearing....still trying to figure that out!







While working at So-Fro, I picked up Vogue 9612 after it was discontinued.  I like the overlay detail of the skirt and so I cut it out in linen-type fabric back in 2000.  It sat for the next 7 years.


I finally constructed the pattern pieces about 3 years ago, but got stalled on picking buttons.   I ran across this dress a few days ago and decided I don't like the boxy shape or sleeve design, and started thinking about how I could redesign the dress.  Now, after reading Erin's blog, I'm wondering if it's worth the effort.


There are other projects I've started and fabrics I "want to do something with" which I didn't itemize in this post.  So, thankfully, Erin provided a list of rules to help other Project Clingers decide when it's time to let go.  My mission - should I choose to accept it - is to go through my pile of "zombie projects" and purge.  I anticipate it will be difficult - especially since I didn't even commit on this blog that I will undertake this effort - but I know it will feel good to be free.  It always does when you make room for other possibilities.  What are your thoughts?

Be blessed!
Aisha

10 comments:

  1. Oh dear, yes, you suffer sewer's syndrome. Most of us do - keeping things to cut down (we never do), hoarding out of date patterns (this is a really strange one, I do it too - why, when we know we will never wear it?). Projects that don't work out quite right and get "put to one side for later". Keeping bits for the quilt you will make one day, cos the fabric is too good to toss. Sidetracks, etc. And fabric stashing! Well, perhaps we will have to chat about all this Aisha! As the year progresses. I did have a purge a year or so ago - of fabrics I will never ever use. I'll be interested in what you decide to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Sarah...I suffer from the syndrome. I did a purge about 5 or 6 years ago where I donated several fabric yardages and over 100 patterns, but I have some decisions I have to make soon about pending "stuff" in my space.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this! I am going downstairs to clean up in my sewing room, which has become stiflingly cluttered with similar projects. I am dumping them today to make room for projects I am excited about!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A.J.A. - you are more than welcomed! I think you feel the way I did when I read Erin's original post...it's giving me an opportunity to consciously think about what's important in my sewing life.

      Delete
  3. I REMEMBER SoFro fabrics. I used to love that fabric store. They've not been around here for a very long time. I enjoyed this post. I probably could do something similar...don't know if I'd have the guts to post it (you sew [go] girl) but at least it gives a great visual of what's happening in the sewing studio and direction for a plan of action...or not...take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still kinda dragging my feet on that re-org plan...baby steps, right?!

      Delete
  4. Me! Me! I have this syndrome! BUT! I'm committed to doing something about it! I actually finished a blouse tonight that's been sitting in my basket for about 7 months! One step at a time, one step at a time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darci, it's nice to know I'm in good company - I think. You're absolutely making progress...be proud! Us Project Clingers can make our way to recovery...one step at a time!

      Delete
  5. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one with this syndrome, and that it seems to be a widely noted one. Is it possibly in a medical journal somewhere? Lol. Yes, I too have my own pile of never finished outfits. I think the best one is the polar bear plush fabric cut out for a swing winter jacket for my my oldest daughter who at the time was two. It never made it to being sewn, my other daughter soon outgrew the unsewn pieces as well. Now my oldest is expecting my first grandchild, who while happily is a boy, sadly cannot wear the beautiful swing coat... Maybe the next one? The fabric still waits, possibly in vain.. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...I can so relate to your comment. Perhaps you'll be blessed with a beautiful and healthy granddaughter who can enjoy the jacket instead. I'm sure mom will love it, too.

      Delete