While this zipper set-back seriously cut into my "sewjo" and motivation to complete GW, I was able to complete most of its construction.
|on the hanger|
I replaced the broken invisible zipper with a metal-tooth exposed zipper...
...I added leather elbow pads to the sleeves...
...and attached the sleeves to the dress. I still have to complete the dress and sleeve hems, but here it is in its almost completed form.
I love, love, LOVE the elbow pads on the sleeves. I initially cut the pads out of left-over faux leather from the Homecoming outfit I made for my daughter in 2010, but I noticed a blemish on the pad surface. Instead, I opted to use genuine leather from a pair of pants I purchased in September from Salvation Army specifically for the leather "fabric"! I used the blanket stitch setting on my Brother SE-400 with a longer and wider setting. Love 'em!!
What I am not loving, however, is the zipper appearance. You can probably see on the picture a little waviness at the zipper end. Well, when the dress is on me, the wave appearance runs almost the entire zipper length. I applied interfacing to the seam allowance during construction to provide support for the zipper, but I may need to add more and possibly create some type of dart or stitch line to minimize some length between the neckline and waist. I have to play with that. What I won't do is give up on this dress because I am loving it too much.
I am absolutely open to any feedback to deal with the wavy-back. Please leave your comments and suggestions below - I love reading them!