Friday, March 25, 2016

Almost Like Free: McCall's 6435 and Vogue 9004

A few months back, I shared with you how I reconfigured the method in which I store my fabrics remnants. Having an orderly storage process makes it possible for me to easily and quickly take stock of the fabric scraps I have on hand and ponder on how they could be used with new projects.

As a result, I have added two color-blocked tops to my closet using leftover fabric from other garments I've sewn.

The first was made with McCall's 6435, view D.  I had pretty sizable pieces of black and white ponte knit leftover from my Easter 2013 project, and this color combination seems to rank very high on my favorite list, so I used them to make this color-block top.

front view                                                back view

 right                                                         left

Modification I made included adding hem facing tape to the shoulder to prevent the seams from stretching over time...

...and adding a tricot knit neck facing instead of turning the neck edges and stitching, which I felt added too much bulk to the neck and shoulders.

I also added my garment and care labels to the back neck facing.

The second top was made with Vogue 9004, view B from leftover fabric from Easter 2013 and my Good Wife dress, along with dark red ponte knit leftover from a dress I made back in 2014 using Butterick 5559.  I didn't have enough of each fabric remnant for one garment, so I decided to coordinate them together.  I cut the top back and sleeves in the black ponte, the left front in red and right front in white.  

Other than adding a third color choice to its design, the only other modification I made was the omission of the center back zipper.  Since the garment is made from a knit, and the top flares out slightly towards the hem, I figured the center-back seam would present very little difficulty while dressing.  I do, however, have to be careful with make-up application afterwards.

Forgive the serger thread color...I didn't have a compatible one at the time.
My only issue with this pattern was the instructions around hemming the bodice front where the color-blocked fabric sections meet.  I found them to be somewhat confusing, so I just allowed the fabric to dictate how best to hem.  This required some hand-stitching, but it worked out.

There is some shadowing under the white ponte from the red fabric, but this is not a major issue for me and I've received many compliments when wearing it.  If I ever make this top again, however, I would cut it so the top is a little longer in front.

Be blessed!