Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Prom 2012

In the 2 day gap I had to finish Vickie's lining, I was able to crank out daughter's dress so she could attend her boyfriend's prom.  If you recall, she selected Vogue 2891 for the event.


His tuxedo was black with gray accents (vest, tie, hankie), so she decided to go with a gray sparkle satin-type fabric with a black lace overlay.

Before cutting into the fashion fabric, I made a test muslin of the garment.  I highly recommend making a test muslin, if for no other reason, to be able to test-run the pattern instructions.  By the time I got to making the actual dress, I was pretty comfortable with the step-by-step, enough so that I sometimes deviated from the printed instructions.




You may recall from earlier posts that she has what I describe as a "narrow back".  I have to make adjustments to the back bodice on any garments I make for her - especially close-fitting ones - and this dress was no exception.


I was pleased that the needed adjustment was just a dart on either side near the waist band.


Once I dismantled the muslin bodice, I pressed the adjusted back bodice piece, and decided to use it to cut the fashion fabric to avoid putting a dart in the actual garment.


I'd be a liar if I said I was unconcerned about the angle toward the bottom of the bodice piece, but I went with it.


I cut out and constructed the dress Sunday evening into Monday morning.  I allowed the dress to hang so the bias cuts could settle before completing the final task of hemming the lining, dress and lace overlay on Monday night/Tuesday morning.

And, here's the final product...

Check out the finger and toe nail color - I LOVE IT!!

BTW - asked to wear MY earrings after I saw them dangling from her ears - DAUGHTERS!!

Here's a closer view of the back bodice.  Despite my concerns, you can see the bodice fits closely to her back with the "implied" dart.


The obligatory "corsage presentation" photo...

Hmm...looks like he approves
Of course, I see some "tweaks" that can be done but I'm honestly not sure if I want to invest the time in doing so.  If history is any guide, then this dress will join the half-dozen other special-occasion dresses I've made for her that are now in the Dress Graveyard - a.k.a. her closet - and has not seen the light of day since they were unceremoniously interned.  We'll see what happens.

Be blessed!

Aisha

No comments:

Post a Comment