Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Nicole Miller's "Tidal Wave"

In case you didn't know, I am a fan of "The Wendy Williams Show."  I DVR new episodes each day, and try to view them later that evening, not so much because I just HAFTA watch it that day, but because I need to be diligent about viewing and deleting my recordings.  Don't judge me...I have quite a few programs set up as series recordings and I'm trying to prevent maxing out the hard drive storage.

Anyway, one of my favorite aspects about Wendy's show is seeing what she's going to wear each day, and I was quite taken with the Nicole Miller purple jersey dress she wore yesterday.  So much so, that I went on a search to find a pattern which could easily be adapted to look like this dress.  While I found many pattern options, there didn't seem to be anything out there with quite the same "tidal wave" detail of this dress.  "Hmm...come to think of it, I can't really see the design detail on this picture.  Maybe I should go check out Nicole Miller's site and find this dress so I can get a better view."  (Side note:  who else loves the Internet?)


So, I went to NicoleMiller.com and while I didn't find the exact dress Wendy wore Monday, I did find a dress with the same design detail.  It appears the dress front is cut a little longer than the back, allowing for the asymmetrical pleating detail on either side of the dress.  The only "trick" is to figure out how to achieve the "wave" effect.
This will be something I'll have to play with, and I think I'll be able to use any basic knit-dress pattern to copy this style.  But, I think I will need to first focus on completing the linen top and skirt I cut out last weekend.  I sometimes get too enthusiastic about beginning a new project before completing an existing one.  Besides, it would be nice to be able to wear these linen garments this spring and summer, instead of five spring/summers from now.  I'm sure other sewing enthusiasts can relate.

No comments:

Post a Comment