Thursday, November 17, 2016

BLC Day 17: Chocolate Suede

Whenever I visit a JoAnn Fabric store, I have to check out the remnant bin to see if any interesting fabric cuts have been added, which is how I found this chocolate faux suede in July 2012.  Being a remnant, it was marked 50% down from it's retail price of $26.99/yd. and I'm pretty sure it is normally found in JoAnn's decorator fabric section and therefore had a stiffer hand.  It measured 1 yard in length and 58/60-inches wide - perfect yardage for a straight skirt.  I brought it home and added to the stash.




I recently discovered a hole in the elbow of my favorite Autumn sweater.  I've had it for at least 10 years and purchased it from a local Kohl's store.  Marked 90% off its retail price, I bought it for $3.90.  When I spotted the elbow hole, I decided to add a leaf motif elbow patch to both sleeves and pulled the faux suede fabric out to audition it with the sweater and its existing leaf motifs.



The fiber content of this faux suede is 100% polyester, and although the care instructions on the roll indicated Dry Clean Only, I was pretty sure I could safely launder it.  So, I ran a swatch through the washer and line dried it to verify it would retain it's color, shape and hand.  It held up well.



I didn't want to just cut into the fabric for the sweater repair job and jeopardize being able to make the skirt as planned, so I moved into identifying the best pattern to make the skirt, saving the scraps for the elbow patches.  Because of the fabric's hand, the skirt design had to have straight lines, so I used Butterick 5566, view C.



Cutting and stitching this fabric was almost effortless and the skirt darts and front panels contoured well.



The pattern modification I made included adding a full lining using the front and back pieces for View A, deep side seam pockets on both sides and an exposed metal zipper which I recycled from an old pair of jeans.  All told, I believe this skirt costs about $25.00.











Despite having many ongoing projects in my Sewing Room, I've added to the list a print blouse to accompany this skirt, the details of which I hope to share soon.

Be blessed!

Aisha


2 comments:

  1. Very nice skirt and beautifully made too! I love everything you've done here! Did you create your labels?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Myra...I really value your opinion, especially given the beautiful garments you make. I did make the labels...I blogged about it here...

      http://sewcouture.blogspot.com/2015/02/dont-you-wanna-put-your-name-on-it.html

      Delete