I then bought another group of thrift store sweaters in September 2015 to make my patch-work knit throw. Again, I wanted varying knit patterns and patch blocks in different sizes. After determining the desired dimensions of the completed throw, I used an Excel spreadsheet to design the layout I wanted to follow. I really wanted this throw to have a random pattern with respect to the knits, size and location in the layout. Doing random is a challenge for me, so laying out the pattern helped, although there is still a measure of balance here. Like I said, I don't do random well.
I printed my layout and I created paper patterns for the 3 sizes I used to cut out my blocks from the knit sweaters and used my large washer weights to hold them in place while cutting.
I laid out the knit blocks according to the diagram I created, and labeled each so I could easily identify and assemble them at the serger.